Cite this Page
AHS, “The Robert Till House, #235 Northampton Road,” Amherst Historic, accessed February 4, 2023, https://amhersthistoric.org/items/show/33.
- The Robert Till House was built around 1917, probably by
the builders and contractors George and Albion Allen who lived on South Pleasant Street. The first owners were Martha and Robert E. Till, an African American chef. Mrs. Till was the daughter of Dwight “Doc” Newport who lived at 193 Northampton Road. The Tills occupied the house from its construction until approximately 1968. In 1943, Dwight Newport’s grandson, Ralph was listed in directories as a resident.
Martha and her son Frederick E. Till, also a chef, are listed as late 20th century owners.
Published on Mar 10, 2022. Last updated on Apr 8, 2022.