Cite this Page
AHS , “Margaret and William Jenkins House, #203 Northampton Road,” Amherst Historic, accessed September 27, 2022, https://amhersthistoric.org/items/show/32.
- The house was built around 1910 by George and Albion Allen, brother contractors living on South Pleasant Street. They sold it in 1911 to Eugene Lyford who sold in 1921 to Lovelie and Maurice Greene, Pastor of the Hope Congregational Church on Gaylord Street. The house is most closely associated with Margaret and William Jenkins.
Mr. Jenkins was a cook at the Northampton Hotel and at one time for President Coolidge. It was Mrs. Jenkins' belief that on New Year’s Day, a male had to visit her home before a female visitor was allowed in. Even if there was 10 feet of snow on the ground women would have to wait to enter the house until after a male came to visit.
Published on Mar 9, 2022. Last updated on Apr 8, 2022.